The city of Clermont-Ferrand
The city of Clermont is located in the Auvergne region Clermont-Ferrand in the heart of France and sits on the plains of the Limagne in the Massif Central in a major industrial area. This is an outstandingly unspoilt mountainous area, where leisure activities include skiing, hiking, mountain-biking, windsurfing and hang-gliding. Clermont-Ferrand is famous for its chain of extinct dormant volcanoes, the ‘Chaîne des Puys‘ which surround it.
The famous Puy-de-Dôme volcano (10 km from the city) is one of the highest landmarks and is easy to recognize with its telecommunication antennas that sit on its top and paragliders that circle it when the weather is good. This dormant volcano has been granted World Heritage status by the UNESCO in 2018 to become France’s first natural Heritage site.
Clermont-Ferrand is also famous for hosting the annual International Short Film Festival, one of the world’s renown short film festivals, as well as being home to the corporate headquarters of the famous Michelin Tyre Company which was created by the Michelin brothers more than 100 years ago. In fact, Clermont is the only city in France (apart from Paris) where a French listed company is headquartered.
Clermont, a student-friendly city
Clermont is a dynamic city and a great place to study with a low cost of living and a high quality of life (International short film festival, international music festivals, theatre, concerts, etc….). The city has an active student population of approximately 40 000 students (around 5,000 are international students) and has witnessed a big increase in its population size during the last few years (+7%) as more people are attracted by the what the city has to offer.
According to the Etudiant ranking of the best student cities in France, Clermont-Ferrand comes in the 18th place (among 46 cities).
The greater metropolitan area comprises:
- 460 759 habitants
- 40 000 students
- 5 000 international students
- 6 000 full-time researchers
- 300 sports associations and clubs
- 15 000 companies
Transport to Clermont
- Car: 3.5/4 hours’ drive from Paris – A71 Motorway / Lyon – A72 (1 hour) / Montpellier – A75 (3 hours)
- Train: Departures from the Bercy Train Station in Paris – 3.5 hours /Tickets can be booked directly on the SNCF (French rail travel) website
- Bus: Departures from Bercy / Porte de Maillot. There are many bus operators (Flixbus, Ouibus, Isilines and Eurolines)
- Plane: Clermont-Ferrand – CFE is on the outskirts of the city – about 15 minutes’ drive from the center (by bus or taxi)