Visa and insurance


Health Insurance


European Union Citizens: Do not require a visa to enter France. A valid ID card or passport is sufficient.

Non-European Union students: For a study period of over three months in France, non-EU students have to apply for a visa.

  • Students from countries listed below:

  • Algeria
  • Argentina
  • Benin
  • Brazil
  • Burkina-Faso
  • Cameroun
  • Chile
  • China
  • Colombia
  • Congo-Brazzaville
  • Gabon
  • Guinea
  • India
  • Ivory Coast
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • Lebanon
  • Madagascar
  • Mali
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico
  • Morocco
  • Peru
  • Russia
  • Senegal
  • Syria
  • Taïwan
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • USA
  • Vietnam

must register through the following CEF, CAMPUSFRANCE procedure before applying for their visa:

If you are from one of the countries listed above, it is mandatory to register online on in order to begin the visa procedure. You are required to pay for this registration.

On the website, you will be required to create your own personal file and then tick “Groupe ESC Clermont” as your chosen school. You will then be required to make an appointment with CampusFrance who will review your application. If your file is accepted, you will then be able to proceed to apply for the visa at the French consulate.

Please visit the website in order to find out more about this process and contact the International Office directly if you need more information about CampusFrance or if you have problems (or questions) using the system.

  • Students from other non-European countries

must apply for the visa directly with the French Consulate in their country.

  • Proof of Financial Resources

In order to apply for your French Student Visa you will have to prove that you have enough funds to cover at least one year of studies in France (615€/month for 12 months, that is, a minimum of 7380€). The most common way to have a proof of financial resources is a Blocked Account Bank Statement (Attestation de Virement Irrévocable) that will be attached to your Visa application. This document is issued by a bank or other financial institution on the basis of a security deposit into a blocked account.

Our students from the African continent can check out the bank statement service provided by our partner, Studely, a French company operating throughout Africa. 
Studely can issue an “Attestation de Virement Irrévocable” (Blocked account certificate) and also help you to access French real estate offers in order to find an accommodation in Clermont-Ferrand. 
Find out more at



  • French National Health Insurance enrollment certificate
  • or your European Health Insurance Card or valid certificate if you are from the European Union or Quebec (do not forget to apply for this before leaving your home country)


This information concerns all students enrolled in a French University or Institution of Higher Education, including all international students enrolled for one semester or more.

  1. All students are required by French law to register with the French National Health Insurance Scheme (Sécurité Sociale). This registration is free of charge. The French social security registration cannot be replaced by a private insurance. (International students, however, may require a private insurance to tide them over until this registration procedure has been completed)
    Once this registration is finalized, approximately 70% of medical costs will be covered. However, medical expenses in France may be expensive compared to the student’s home country. Students are therefore strongly advised to take a complementary insurance or a ‘mutuelle’ (see section below**) to benefit from a more comprehensive coverage.
  2. All students (except non-degree-seeking exchange students) will be required to pay an annual State Student Services Fee of 90€. This fee is compulsory for all students. Students will have access to a whole range of student services and facilities.


As stated above, you will be reimbursed 65 to 70% of medical bills and most medical expenses have to be paid up front. A complementary health insurance “mutuelle” is therefore highly recommended to help students pay for and cover the remaining expenses (this depends on the options chosen).

The two main complementary insurance companies for students are the ‘LMDE’ and the ‘SMERRA’. They both offer a similar range of complementary insurance packages with varying prices. Students are free to compare and choose either insurance company.

If you are a new incoming student arriving in France, your will need to obtain a French Social Security Number. To obtain this, you will need to provide an official copy of their birth certificate. It is important that the birth certificate complies with the following criteria:

  1. It must contain information concerning your parents
  2. Remember to get an apostille or authentication (depending on the country) before leaving your country
  3. It must be issued in French or translated by a chartered translator in France*. All other translations will not be considered as valid and your file will be rejected.
    For further information please contact the French Embassy on your home country

*You can check the list of chartered translators here (from page 120 onwards)