Visa and insurance


European Union Citizens: Do not require a visa to enter France. A valid ID card or passport is sufficient.

Non-European Union students: For a study period of over three months in France, non-EU students have to apply for a visa.

  • Students from countries listed below:

  • Algeria
  • Argentina
  • Benin
  • Brazil
  • Burkina-Faso
  • Cameroun
  • Chile
  • China
  • Colombia
  • Congo-Brazzaville
  • Gabon
  • Guinea
  • India
  • Ivory Coast
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • Lebanon
  • Madagascar
  • Mali
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico
  • Morocco
  • Peru
  • Russia
  • Senegal
  • Syria
  • Taïwan
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • USA
  • Vietnam

must register through the following CEF, CAMPUSFRANCE procedure before applying for their visa:

If you are from one of the countries listed above, it is mandatory to register online on in order to begin the visa procedure. You are required to pay for this registration.

On the website, you will be required to create your own personal file and then tick « Groupe ESC Clermont » as your chosen school. You will then be required to make an appointment with CampusFrance who will review your application. If your file is accepted, you will then be able to proceed to apply for the visa at the French consulate.

Please visit the website in order to find out more about this process and contact the International Office directly if you need more information about CampusFrance or if you have problems (or questions) using the system.

  • Students from other non-European countries

must apply for the visa directly with the French Consulate in their country.



Health insurance is compulsory for all international students coming to study in France.

  1. Students from the 27 member states of the European Union:

Must provide the European Health Insurance card – this must be obtained prior to your journey to France.

  1. Non-European Union students under 28 years of age:

Registration with the French Social Security System is compulsory for all non-European Union students under 28 years old. This should be purchased upon your arrival at ESC and costs approximately 215€.

Payment may be made by check in the admissions office. Please note that the French Social Security refunds 65 to 70% of any medical bills you may incur. You will always have to pay medical expenses up front. A complementary health insurance is highly recommended (see below)

NB: You will be asked to provide a recent & certified translation of your birth certificate in order to register.

  1. Non-European Union students of 28 years of age and above:

Should take out private health insurance in their home country. This insurance should cover medical, hospital and repatriation expenses during their stay in Europe.

  1. Special cases:

If you have French nationality but you are a student from a partner university, you must be registered with the French Social Security System. This should be purchased upon your arrival at ESC by check or by wire transfer (approx.. 215€).


Additional health insurance (“mutuelle”)

If you take out the French social security health insurance coverage, you can purchase complementary student health insurance called a ‘Mutuelle’, which covers the remaining 30 to 35% of medical expenses. The Admissions Office can help you purchase this additional health insurance (Costs will vary according to your requirements).

NB: The subscription to the French Social Security System is effective from October 1st until September 30th of the following year. This means that you will also need coverage for the month of September – one-month packages are available through specialized student insurance companies. Also, non-European students staying for a civil year in France (January-December) will have to renew their subscription in October and therefore pay a total of approximately 414 Euros.


For all students:

We also require a copy of your insurance (in English or French) covering civil liability and medical repatriation. Without this document, it will be impossible to register you at ESC. It is imperative that you bring it for the orientation session.

Travel insurance covering loss or theft of personal belongings is strongly recommended.